Monday, May 6, 2019

Morgan's poem 2019

Morgan won an honorable mention in the West Roxbury Library poetry contest with this poem.  The theme of the contest was "Look Closer."


expectations

by Morgan 

The world is frozen over.
I am still stinging from the cold, not quite numb.
Icicles bite at my ears, my nose, my mouth.
You are glowing with warmth.
I’m not ready to melt.

You are an enigma.
A code impossible to crack.
I want to know if your brain whirs at a million miles a minute
as you stare into space.
Maybe you’re thinking about me.
Probably not.

I like solving puzzles.
Nancy Drew haunted me through middle school.
You’re harder to solve than the Secret of the Old Clock.
I want to know what makes you tick.
How do you understand the world?

As we walk away from our prison at the end of the day,
you don’t say much.
Worn out, perhaps.
Exhausted by the futility of life.
Or perhaps Lucretius guides you. Seneca. Aristotle.

I try to look closer.
Look beyond the wind in your hair and the flush in your cheeks.
See the real you.
You’re blinding.

You look back at me.
My teeth are chattering.
My cheeks burn with cold.
Yours just burn.
Tell me who you are.
Show me the contents of your soul.

You open your mouth to speak to me.
I am ready to understand.
It is silent for a moment.
And then.

“So, could you send me last night’s math homework?
I played video games until two a.m. and forgot to do it.”

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.


No comments: