Sunday, April 26, 2015

My poem


I won an honorable mention for the adult category at the West Roxbury Library poetry contest.  The theme this year is "Missing pieces."  Here's my poem (although I can't get the spacing right in the blog). 




MISSING PIECES

 

Nina Kallen



 

                       Nadia
 
I did not always dream about this day.
 
If I had, I would have known,
My mother was supposed to help me choose A dress
And the snotty lady on Newbury Street Would not have sneered at me.
Ha!
I showed her when she tried to rip me off.
Me!
I think I made her cry.
 
I would have known
Weddings are supposed to be catered.
You’re supposed to find a rabbi
Who knows what he’s doing.
Your venue (“venue” -- I snort)
Should have bathrooms,
Not portapotties.
 
Nevertheless:
 
It was a fine June day
Under a white tent.
Food from the potluck
Overflowed the tables.
The rabbi showed up.
Guests snuck into the house
To use the bathroom.
 
Sometimes ignorance
Is a mean sort of wisdom.
Sometimes you grasp in the dark
And children emerge.
Sometimes you are doing your damnedest
Just to get through the day
And you find you are living your own life
In your own way
 
And it is good enough.
                 Aidan
 
I first saw you through a window.
I told a friend I would marry you.
 
It was a perfect day.
You helped me find a suit.
I still have it.
Why would I need more than one?
 
We got married on a farm.
They planted flowers for us. 
The tent company was amazing.
Some people I know set up the food.
My friend performed the ceremony.
 
The hurricane came during our honeymoon.
At the last minute we found a pink hotel
To keep us safe.
 
I never really understand
Your looks of despair,
Of desperation,
Of disdain.
 
Why don’t you give me more credit?
 
I work hard,
As hard as can be expected.
It is not easy having kids,
And a job,
And you. 
 
I am proud of my life’s work.
The kids, the job,
And you.
 
And, although hurricanes come,
I am living my own life
In my own way
 
And it is good enough.

No comments: